Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Potato Halwa


What?? Halwa with potatoes?? Was my first reaction when I first saw this recipe. But, at the back of my mind I had resolved to make it whenever an opportune moment presented itself. Such a moment came few days ago. My in-laws had come to stay with us for a couple of days. So, I thought of trying this Potato Halwa. I had my own sweet share of anxieties, hows, what-ifs and buts before getting in. But, I took the plunge (thankfully!). What came out was a serious piece of dessert that can be served with your head held high even for the best of parties.

However, one area of caution (for people like me) is that while the dish cooks, it emits a certain natural smell of potatoes. Personally, I don’t like it. I was also scared this smell might remain in the final product. Fortunately, the halwa did not have even a trace of it. It is advised to add a slightly extra dose of cardamom, edible camphor and saffron so that this smell is camouflaged perfectly. My overall verdict: A very impressive dessert.

Ingredients (serves 4)
  • Potatoes (peeled and grated): One and a half cups
  • Sugar: ½ cup (or more or less depending on how sweet you want the dish)
  • Milk: 1 cup
  • Ghee: 1/3 cup
  • Water: ¼ cup
  • Cardamom (powdered): 1 tsp
  • Saffron: few strands
  • Edible camphor: one pinch
  • Yellow colouring: one pinch
  • Almonds: Chopped fine (to garnish)

Method:

  • Heat a heavy bottomed or a non-stick kadai
  • Add 2 – 3 tbsp of ghee
  • Add the potatoes, water, milk, sugar on medium flame
  • Keep stirring occasionally
  • After about 15 minutes, the potatoes would almost be done
  • From now on, pay close attention to it. Simmer the flame
  • Add the cardamom powder, camphor, saffron, and yellow colouring
  • Keep stirring it
  • It would solidify further
  • Now add the remaining ghee
  • After cooking for some more time, the halwa would completely comes off the sides of the kadai
  • It would be sort-of semi-solid in consistency. It would not stick to your fingers and you would be able to make an unsticky slightly hard ball out of it
  • This is when it is called complete
  • Pour the halwa into greased moulds of desired shapes
  • Serve warm or cool garnished with almonds
  • Done!

1 comment:

  1. Shobana,
    Very unusual and nice. Will try it out.

    Cheers,
    Priyamvada.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails